Willett Free Library
Printable membership form
Because Willett Free Library is a member of the statewide library consortium (OSL), free and open to the public, patrons might believe that the Willett Free Library is supported entirely by tax dollars, staffed by a government employee. Not so!
The Saunderstown Free Library Association [SFLA] opened Willett Free Library in 1896. It was then and remains today a non-profit association with the sole mission to provide library service to the community. We are very proud that we have been providing public library services for over 115 years.
For upcoming fiscal 2012-13, the Town of North Kingstown will contribute 5.8% of our operating budget. With its state Grant-in-Aid program, the state of Rhode Island will contribute 17.2% - amounting to combined public support of 23%. This leaves WFL to raise over 77% of its operating income by fundraising, donations, contributions, gifts and private grants.
The Library relies on the support of its users, its neighbors and its friends for our continued operation. If you appreciate our contribution to your village, your town and your state, advocate the role that libraries have in your community, believe that literacy and learning improve the quality of your life, we ask you to join us.
By joining the Saunderstown Free Library Association, you are expressing your support of the Willett Free Library and assuring its sustainability. As a voting member of the Association, you will take part in charting the library's course into the future. Our Board Meetings are held as posted on the main page of this site. The Annual Meeting for members is Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at 7pm.
If you are a resident of North Kingstown and believe that the Town of North Kingstown and the State of Rhode Island have a duty to support public libraries like the Willett and should make a greater effort to secure the future of our local libraries, let your elected official know.
Reach the NK Town Council at http://www.northkingstown.org/government/town-council.
Our Town Manager can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find your State Representatives:
Our Governor can be contacted at http://www.governor.ri.gov/.
Go back to the WFL main page.